Reach Out | (713) 395-1330
May 24, 2023
Author - Alexandra Sizemore
Submissions Due: February 15, 2024
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO COMPETE?
All pro-life middle school students (6th - 8th grade) and high school students (9th - 12th grade) in Houston or its surrounding cities are eligible to compete for this scholarship. Only one submission per student is allowed. By entering this contest, you confirm that the essay submission is your own original creation.
WHAT ARE THE AWARDS?
The 1st place winner of the middle school division and the high school division will both be awarded with a $1,000 scholarship. The 2nd place winner of the middle school division and the high school division will both be awarded with a $500 scholarship.
1. Contestants must compose their work with limited guidance from others.
2. Houston Coalition for Life will have the right to edit, publish, or otherwise duplicate work entered into the contest without payment to the creator.
1. Each entry must include the contestant's name, grade, and school/church.
2. Essays must include at least 500 words but no more than 1,000 words. This does not include the title, bibliography, endnotes, or footnotes.
3. Any quotations or copyrighted material used in an essay must be identified properly.
Members of Generation Vitae, Houston Coalition for Life's young adult group, will score each submission on a scale from 1 - 10 on these factors:
1. Interpretation of the topic (Why I am Pro-Life)
2. Level of originality and/or creativity
3. Quality of the piece
HOW TO ENTER:
NOTIFICATION OF THE WINNERS:
Contest winners will be notified by April 3rd, 2024 and will be presented their award at the Houston Coalition for Life's Annual Benefit Dinner which usually takes place at the end of April or early May. The 1st place high school winner will be given the opportunity to read their work on stage.
DOWNLOAD A FLIER AND SHARE WITH YOUR CHURCH AND/OR SCHOOL.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.